Student Test Scores Show Increase in Achievement
Published on 2/23/17
District News Academics CORE K-8 @ Elmwood Corcoran High School Elmcrest Huntington K-8 School Johnson Center / Adult Education LeMoyne Elementary School McCarthy at Beard Nottingham High School PSLA @ Fowler Van Duyn Elementary School
SCSD students made strong gains in the first half of the school year, according to new data highlighting student growth on the STAR ELA and Math Assessments.
The STAR assessments are administered to students in kindergarten through 11th grade each year in September, December and May and are a screening and progress monitoring tool, showing teachers and school staff students’ baseline knowledge, as well as areas for intervention, remediation or acceleration.
Any change greater than +0.6 indicates that students demonstrated more than half a year’s growth in the first half of the 2016-17 school year.
Schools of Note: The following schools saw an average gain of more than half a year’s growth during the first half of the 2016-17 school year!
- The Johnson Center saw an average gain of +2.6 in STAR Reading – with students showing more than two years of growth in just a few months!
- LeMoyne Elementary saw an average gain of +1.4 in STAR Math and +0.8 in STAR Reading.
- McCarthy at Beard saw an average gain of +1.6 in STAR Math and +1.3 in STAR Reading.
- CORE saw an average gain of +1.1 in STAR Math.
- Van Duyn saw an average gain of +0.8 in STAR Math.
“In my opinion, success all boils down to grouping kids and meeting their needs,” LeMoyne first grade teacher Joanne Carey explained. “I push phonics skills: letter/sounds, blending, sight words/trick word teaching, comprehension, phrasing and fluency. We use many strategies to teach reading. I write with the kids. I give weekly spelling words and I use RazKids [Reading A-Z reading program] on my computer to puts kids' eyes on text. All this combined makes a literate student.”
Grades of Note: The following grade levels were District leaders, showing a year or more worth of student growth just through the first half of the school year!
- LeMoyne 1st grade +2.2 in STAR Reading
- Elmcrest 3rd grade +1.7 in STAR Math
- LeMoyne 3rd grade +1.0 in STAR Math and +0.7 in STAR Reading
- LeMoyne 5th grade +1.3 in STAR Math
- McCarthy 7th grade +2.5 in STAR Math
- MSAP/CORE 7th grade +1.5 in STAR Math
- Elmcrest 7th grade +1.4 in STAR Reading
- MSAP/CORE 8th grade +1.9 in STAR Reading
- Huntington 8th grade +1.0 in STAR Math
- Fowler 9th grade +2.0 in STAR Math
- Elmcrest 9th grade +1.2 in STAR Math and +1.4 in STAR Reading
- Nottingham 9th grade +1.0 in STAR Math
- Johnson Center 10th grade +2.8 in STAR Reading
- Corcoran 11th grade +1.5 in STAR Math
- Elmcrest 12th grade +4.6 in STAR Reading
- Fowler 12th grade +1.8 in STAR Reading
Congratulations to all of our students on their impressive achievements, and job well done to the teachers who are working tirelessly to help students continue to improve!