Skip to main content
Click here to go to homepage
Click for Facebook Click for Twitter Click for Instagram Click for Let's Talk
Click here to go to homepage

Registration Requirements

If you are new to the City of Syracuse, looking to register your child for the first time, or have a former student returning to us, you’ve come to the right place! We invite you to enroll via our online process. Please note that students enrolled in the District must be residents of the City of Syracuse and of age to attend school. Children of Syracuse City School District Unit 1, Unit 2, and Unit 11 employees who do not live in the city are also eligible to enroll for grades K-12 (non-residents are NOT eligible for SCSD Pre-K programming (email for information)).  Please read the information below and also review the Public Statement on Enrollment for additional details.

Need help? You may also request assistance in completing the registration process by calling (315) 435-6392 to schedule a phone appointment or email

Registration Steps

  1. Online Registration Form: Begin the enrollment process online by completing an Online Registration Form.
  1. Registration Packet: Download, print and complete a Registration Packet.Upon completing the packet, please call (315) 435-6392 or email to make an appointment to drop off your packet along with the additional Required Documents. The packet consists of information that we must collect, but that cannot be collected via the online process.
  1. Required Documents: To register your child for school in the Syracuse City School District you will need to provide the documents listed below. Call (315) 435-6392 or email to make an appointment to drop off your documents along with your Registration Packet.


1. Proof of Address
(1 document required)

The Syracuse City School District requests submission of one proof of address.  The item must include the name of a parent or guardian and must be dated within 30 days prior to registration.

  1. A copy of a residential lease or proof of ownership of a house or condominium, such as a deed or mortgage statement; or

  2. A statement signed by a third-party landlord, owner, or tenant from whom the parents or person(s) in parental relation leases or with whom they share property within the District, which may be either sworn or unsworn; or

  3. Some other signed statement from a third party establishing the parent(s)’ or person(s) in parental relation’s physical presence within the District

If the documentation listed above is not available, the District will consider other documentation of residency, which may include, but will not be limited to the following:

  • Pay Stub

  • Income tax form

  • Utility or other bills

  • Membership documents based on residency

  • Voter registration documents

  • Official driver license, learner permit, or non-driver identification

  • State or other government issued identification or documents relating to government services or benefits

  • Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g. local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement)

  • Evidence of custody of the child, including, but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers

The District may also require parent(s) or persons in parental relation to provide an affidavit either:

  1. indicating that they are the parent(s) with whom the child lawfully resides; or

  2. indicating that they are the person(s) in parental relation to the child, over whom they have total and permanent custody and control, and describing how they obtained total and permanent custody and control, whether through guardianship or otherwise.The District may also require parent(s) or persons in parental relation to provide an affidavit either:

The District will also accept other proof, such as documentation indicating that the child resides with a sponsor with whom the child has been placed by a federal agency, if applicable.

If you reside outside the City of Syracuse and are: (1) a Syracuse City School District Unit 1 or Unit 2 Employee, (2) Foster Parent of a student who was a previous resident of the City of Syracuse or (3) temporarily residing outside the City of Syracuse, please contact the Student Registration Center at (315) 435-4545 for assistance in completing your application.


2. Proof of Age

(1 document required)

  1. certified transcript of a birth certificate or record of baptism, including a certified transcript of a foreign birth certificate or certificate of baptism.

  2. If a certified transcript of a birth certificate or record of baptism is not available, then the District will accept a certified passport, including a foreign passport, to establish the child’s age.

  3. If neither a certified transcript of a birth certificate or record of baptism, or a passport, is available, then the District will consider other documentation, including but not limited to the types in this list, provided that those documents have been in existence for two (2) years or more:

  • Official driver’s license for the child;
  • State or other government issued identification;
  • School photo identification with date of birth;
  • Consulate identification card;
  • Hospital or health records;
  • Military dependent identification card;
  • Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g. local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement);
  • Court orders or court-issued documents;
  • Native American tribal documents; or
  • Records from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary organizations.


3. Parent/Guardian Photo ID

The District must obtain photo identification of the individual registering the child for school. Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • Driver’s License or Non-Driver Identification Card

  • Passport

  • Benefits Card (with Photograph)

  • Etc.


4. Physical and Immunization Records

The District must obtain proof of immunization, as required by Section 2164(7) of the New York State Public Health Law, or lawful exemption from that requirement, before a student may attend school. Those requirements can also be reviewed in Board Policy 7022.  Therefore, the District requires the following:

  • Physical Exam Records (signed by a physician or clinical staff)

  • Up-to-Date Immunizations

IMPORTANT NOTE:  The District may exclude any student who has not received the required immunizations. The District requests that families provide a copy of an appointment card or letter with the appointment date(s) if the student is not up-to-date on their immunizations.  The District may also exclude an enrolled student from attending school when the student has a communicable or infectious disease that imposes a significant risk of infection of others, as required by Section 906 of the New York State Education Law. 

Students are allowed 14 days from the date they start school to receive the necessary immunizations before being excluded from school. Refugee students and students from out-of-state are allowed 30 days, when the district receives documentation of a Good Faith Effort (GFE) such as an appointment card or other statement from the provider’s office that includes the appointment date.  Please see Section E for additional information on the District's process for enrolling refugee students.


5. Refugee and/or Secondary Migrant Students

If you are a refugee or secondary migrant family, we are excited that you will be joining the Syracuse City School District family.  A parent/person in parental relation or a staff member from a Community-Based Organization (CBO) can submit a registration application.  You will be required to enroll your child using the online application system, which can be translated into multiple languages by selecting the appropriate language from the dropdown box in the top right hand corner of the application page at  You will also be required to provide the documentation listed in Sections A through C above. 

Once the student’s application is submitted, a Language Assessor will schedule an appointment with the parent or CBO to assess English language proficiency. The student will be medically cleared and assigned a school.  


6. Additional Documentation

The Syracuse City School District requests submission of the latest report card or transcripts for children entering grades 1 through 12.  A current Individualized Education Program (IEP) should be submitted for all children who receive special education services.   This enables the district to ensure appropriate grade level placement, and the provision of services and supports to meet the individualized needs of each child.  If this information is not available at the time of registration, the district will request records from the previous school of enrollment to obtain the required documentation.

Per Board of Education policy, the Syracuse City School District is committed to assigning each student to their home school based on the area of residence of their parents or person in parental relation at the time of enrollment in the District, unless that school does not have sufficient seat or grade level availability to accommodate all entering students. Students who are not initially enrolled in their home school will be assigned to another school within the quadrant and may request placement on a waiting list to transfer to their home school should there be space in the future.


Anthony Q. Davis, Superintendent
725 Harrison Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
click for facebook click for twitter click for instagram click for Let's Talk