Important Health Safety Alert
The safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance! Please see below for an important reminder from the SCSD Office of Health Services.
As you may know, marijuana is now legal for adults 21 years of age and older in New York State. This makes marijuana in all forms more accessible to children and adolescents.
Marijuana is dangerous in all forms for children and adolescents – both in short and long-term use.
Did you know that edible marijuana in the form of gummy candy, chocolate bars, and candy can look just like regular sweets and snacks?
Just one edible product, when consumed by a child or adolescent, can cause overdose effects including intoxication, altered perception, anxiety, panic, slurred speech, excessive sleepiness and more.
It is also important to be aware of the delayed effects that can occur if a child has ingested an edible. Marijuana (THC) edibles typically take 30 to 60 minutes after being eaten to take effect – with peak effect happening about 3 to 4 hours after ingesting.
If you believe your child has ingested an edible:
- Try to find out what and how much they ate. Check a wrapper (if possible) to see how much THC it contains.
- Call the free Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-222-1222 as soon as possible.
- If your child’s symptoms seem severe, call 911 or go to an emergency room right away.
Of course, the best way to protect your child is to take precautions. Please take a few minutes to discuss with your child the importance of not taking food from others – especially if the food is not pre-packaged and labeled.
To learn more about the dangers of marijuana and how parents can prevent THC poisoning, please click here for tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
As always, if you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your child’s school nurse – or our Office of Health Services, which can be reached at (315) 435-4145.
Thank you for doing your part to help ensure that your children – and our SCSD community – stay safe!