Executive Director, Monique Wright-Williams
1728 South Ave
Syracuse, NY 13207
315-435-6275 (p) 315-435-6276 (f)
PARENT UNIVERSITY FAMILY CONFERENCE
Save the Date! On Saturday, April 25th from 11 am to 3 pm, Parent University is pleased to welcome Byron V. Garrett, author of The ABCs of Life. A free copy of the book will be available to the first 125 registered attendees! Register now!
Attendees will be invited to take part in two sessions of workshops. Topics of discussion include helpful hints to make reading fun for children, Common Core Math Help, Code of Conduct information sessions, yoga, legal consultations and more. Keynote speaker Byron Garrett will also be talking about the importance of parents in the education of young males and the challenges facing young black males in education.
Maker Hall Fair will be open throughout the program to occupy children with fun science and technology activities while parents attend workshop sessions, and transportation to and from the event is provided (see the transportation schedule below for details). Refreshments, giveaways and a book signing will also be offered.
Check out all the day's activities by clicking here. We hope to see you there!
- Mental Health First Aid – March 28th and April 18th, 10:00am to 2:30pm – ITC, 258 E. Adams St.
- With the recent rise in juvenile suicide, learn how to identify early warning signs of declining mental health in your child and/or his/her friends. Includes light breakfast, lunch and childcare.
- Naviance – April 23rd, 5:30pm to 7:00pm – Henninger, 600 Robinson St.
- Car Seat & Bicycle Safety – May 12th, 4:00pm to 6:00pm – Atonement Church, 116 W. Glen Ave.
- Naviance – May 14th, 5:30pm to 7:00pm – ITC, 258 E. Adams St.
- 13th Annual Elder Law Fair - May 28th, 8:00am to 1:00pm - OCC Academic Building #2, 4585 W. Seneca Tpk
- Poison Control – June 9th, 4:00pm to 6:00pm – Atonement Church, 116 W. Glen Ave.
- Naviance – June 11th, 5:30pm to 7:00pm – Nottingham, 3100 E. Genesee St.
To register, please click here.
CODE OF CONDUCT TRAINING SESSIONS ANNOUNCED
Parent University is proud to announce the dates for Code of Conduct presentations in several schools. The information sessions will include a presentation on the district’s Code of Conduct, ensuring that all parents understand the district’s plan to guarantee all students’ right to an education in a safe, civil and caring environment. You may view the full Code of Conduct online by following this link.
The presentations that have been scheduled are as follows:
- Tuesday, April 21st
- Tuesday, April 28th
- Seymour Dual Language Academy 1:30 PM
- Fowler High School 5:45 PM
- Thursday, April 30th
- Bellevue Elementary School 5:30 PM
- Thursday, May 7th
- Huntington Pre-K-8 School 6:30 PM
- Corcoran High School 7 PM
- Monday, May 11th
- H.W. Smith Pre-K-8 School 6:30 PM
- Tuesday, May 12th
- Henninger High School 6:30 – 7:30 PM
- Meachem Elementary School 6:30 PM
- Thursday, May 14th
- Porter Elementary School 6-6:30 PM
- Tuesday, May 19th
- Dr. King Elementary School 4:15 PM
- Thursday, May 28th
- Franklin Elementary School 5:30 PM
Join the Parent University Book Club!
The Parent University Book Club will begin again at Van Duyn and Salem Hyde Schools. Mark your calendar to attend at Van Duyn on April 21, April 28, May 5, May 12, May 19 and June 2. At Salem Hyde, the book club will meet on Thursdays: April 30, May 7, May 14, May 21, May 28 and June 4 from 9:00 to 10:00 AM. The first book will be "How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk."
ABOUT PARENT UNIVERSITY:
Parent University offers families a variety of FREE classes and workshops. These classes are designed to add to existing skills, provide opportunities for additional growth and development and positively contribute to children’s academic and social-emotional success.
The Syracuse City School District recognizes the connection between student success and family engagement. The SCSD established “Parent University” to increase parental engagement and to contribute to the academic and social-emotional success of our school children. The goals of Parent University include providing support for families so that they may achieve personal academic and non-academic goals; providing parents and families with the necessary resources to support their children’s emotional growth and development; and increasing the number of parents who feel positively connected to their child’s school.
A sampling of classes offered this year include:
- Parenting Young Adolescents
- Getting Organized: Creating a Special Education Notebook
- Learning with the iPad
- Defensive Driving
- Stop Living Paycheck to Paycheck
- Credit Ability — Building a Strong Credit History
Parent University also offers “Breakfast & Books” and “Lunch & Learn,” where participants can enjoy a meal during the class or take their lunch or breakfast to go.
Registering for Courses
Registering for classes is easy! You can register online using one of the links on the side of this page or complete a paper copy of the registration form and mail or fax it to our offices. You can also drop off a completed registration form in the main office at your child's school. Lastly, please call us at the Parent University office at 435-6275 to register over the telephone. If you register for a class that meets over several weeks, you only need to input registration information for the first day of the class.
Who can take classes?
Classes are available for parents and/or other adults who are caregivers of children enrolled in a SCSD school or one of the following non-public schools: Blessed Sacrament, Cathedral at Pompei, Bishop’s Academy at Most Holy Rosary, All Saints Elementary, Eagle Wings Academy, Faith Heritage, Jowonio, Ihsan School of Excellence and the Merriday School.
Can my children attend classes with me?
Some classes are family-oriented where children are welcome; however, the majority of the classes are for adults. Check the recommendation listed for each class.
Childcare is offered for all evening and Saturday classes. Parents must register in advance to ensure childcare.
Any family needing language translation must make arrangements with the Parent University office by calling 435-6275 as soon as possible. Translation services will be provided based on availability.
Transportation vouchers are now available for parents/caregivers to attend Parent University classes. Please notify the Parent University office at the time of registration if you will need a voucher. Bus vouchers will be given for round trip travel to and from classes. Two vouchers per registrant, per class, will be provided.