Skip to main content
Click here to go to homepage
Click for Facebook Click for Twitter Click for Instagram Click for Let's Talk Click for youtube
Click here to go to homepage

Attention, Families: Please Complete the Required Annual Free & Reduced Lunch Form

The Syracuse City School District (SCSD) will continue to participate in New York State’s “Community Eligibility Provision” (CEP) for the 2023-24 school year, under the Child Nutrition Programs. CEP is for school districts with a high percentage of students living in poverty.
Because of CEP, SCSD provides free breakfast and lunch to all students for the entire school year.
However, we still ask that you complete a “household income eligibility form.” This helps SCSD to qualify for other state and federal funds to support our students and can be used for you to find out if your child(ren) can receive additional benefits.
You can find the application on the Syracuse City School District website under Food & Nutrition Services or type in the following address in your URL:
Paper applications are also available at your school if you need.
Below, please find a list of Frequently Asked Questions to help you complete the form. If you have any questions or need help with completing the form, please call (315) 435-4207.

Thank you! 

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to fill out a form for each child? 

No. Use one household income application or form for all students in your household. We cannot use a form that is incomplete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Applications may be completed online.

My child(ren) already receives meals at no charge. Why should I complete this form? 

Many state and federal programs use socioeconomic data (that is, household and income information) to determine eligibility for their programs. By completing this form, your school is able to determine eligibility for additional programs your child(ren) may qualify for such as literacy and reading programs, reduced or waived fees for tutoring, AP and SAT tests, and driver's education etc. Regardless, your child(ren) will still receive meals at no charge at his or her school.

What if we know we do not qualify?

If you know you will not qualify due to the income guidelines, or you do not want to provide your income, you may fill out the students in Part 1, write 'Do Not Qualify' on the space allowed in Part 2 and sign the form in Part 5.

Can foster children get free meals? 

Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility
of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals? 

Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven't been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail [school, homeless liaison or migrant coordinator information] to see if they qualify. 

My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one?

Yes. Your child's application is only good for that school year and for the first 30 operating days of this school year. You must send in a new application each school year.

I get WIC. Can my children get free meals? 

Children in household's participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out a Household Income Eligibility application.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. Citizen?

Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify.

Who should I include as members of my household? 

You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses}, do not include them.

What if my income is not always the same? 

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you make $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime occasionally. If you have lost your job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income?

If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is his/her combat pay counted as income? 

No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment, and it wasn't received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? 

To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, please call us at 315-435-4207.
Anthony Q. Davis, Superintendent
725 Harrison Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
click for facebook click for twitter click for instagram click for Let's Talk click for youtube