Principal's Opening Letter 2020
Published on 9/9/20
McKinley-Brighton Elementary School
McKinley-Brighton Elementary School Katrina Allen, Principal
Dear McKinley-Brighton Elementary Families:
It is a great pleasure to welcome you to the 2020-21 school year. This year, our beginning will look a little different but we are super eager to rejoin you and your scholar! Even though we will require facemasks and social distancing, providing your child with a great education is our top priority!
Our Bobcat goal for the 2020-2021 school year is to provide a healthy and happy learning environment for every child either in person or virtually.
Please note the changes to how the school year will begin below:
- September 10th is Virtual Orientation will take place on Microsoft Teams. Please see the times below. During this meeting you will learn how your child will learn this school year during online instruction.
- 9:00am-9:30am: Kindergarten & 3rd
- 9:30am-10:00am: 1st & 4th
- 10:00am-10:30am: Pre/k, 2nd, & 5th
- Noon: 4th & 5th
- 12:30pm-1:00pm: Pre/k, 2nd & 3rd
- 1:00pm -1:30pm: Kindergarten & 1st
- September 11th is the Drive Thru Laptop Pick Up. We will contact you with the time to pick up the device that is assigned to your scholar.
- The first day of school for all Syracuse City School District students is September 14, 2020.
- All children in grades Pre/k-12 will begin with 100% virtual instruction on September 14th.
- All students will use Microsoft Teams instead of Zoom!
- If you chose virtual instruction for your child, they will continue to learn from their virtual instructor on October 5th until its conclusion.
- If you chose in-person learning for your child as a member of the Hybrid Model, they will attend school beginning on October 5th (the A and C Pod) or October 8th (B Pod).
- A-Pod students will attend Monday and Tuesday, and receive virtual instruction Wednesday to Friday.
- B-Pod students will learn virtually Monday to Wednesday and attend Thursday and Friday.
- C-Pod students are students that either have a special class according to their IEP or are learning English as a Second Language as a Level I or II student. These students will attend Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- D-Pod students will continue to learn virtually
- We will serve breakfast and lunch daily. Breakfast will be in the classrooms at 7:50 a.m.
- If your child will attend in person, bus information will go directly to your home for bus eligible students from the District Transportation Office prior to the opening of school.
- Please complete a “Transportation Childcare/Special Request Form” if your child needs to be picked-up or dropped off daily at a location other than your home address. This form is on the Syracuse City School District website, on the “Transportation” page.
- Please remember to call the school if your address has changed, address changes for bussing may take ten days to go into effect.
- No students or staff will be in the building on Wednesdays.
- All students and staff must check their temperature prior to entering the building, wear a facemask, socially distance, and sanitize or wash hands regularly throughout the school day.
I would like to thank you in advance for embarking on this exciting adventure for the 2020-2021 school year. I understand that this change is a challenge but I know that together, as a team, we can all things! Your McKinley Brighton staff, ask that you please continue to collaborate with us in two ways.
- Please help by partnering with us to protect our community from the COVID-19 virus. Please continue to practice the following safety protocols:
- Remember to send your child with a facemask daily.
- Check your child’s temperature prior to them leaving home
- Remind your child that they must remain six feet away from others and wash and/or sanitize their hands often.
- Please support child’s education in the following ways:
- Call the school at 315-435-4605 to update any phone number or address changes.
- Remain in constant and continual contact with your child’s teacher.
- Set a daily schedule and bedtime for your child to follow. The school day will begin at 8:00am virtually and in person.
- All students will have lunch at home on virtual days 12:00pm-12:30pm
- Try to create a quiet, well-lit space for your child to learn and grow!
- Maintain positivity. This school year is new to all of us, but together we will achieve!
- Join us for virtual student and parent orientation on September 10th!
- Come and pick up your child’s learning kit on September 11th! Your child’s teacher will let you know the time for pick-ups during the virtual orientation.
- Stay connected! Check our district website for weekly updates and information regarding our reopening plans (http://www.syracusecityschools.com/).
As a new member of the McKinley-Brighton community, I look forward to working with you throughout the school year! I hope to provide a productive and safe learning environment that supports your child’s successes. Please see additional tips below to make our school year a success!
Accessing Virtual Learning:
- Below you will find the steps for accessing your child’s online learning platform. You will follow the steps below
Morning Arrival: Students will enter the building at 7:50am as follows:
- Click on Libraries Link
- Click on Clever
- Log in with your child’s username and password,
- username (first initial, first five letters of your last name with last two digits of students ID) password (student initials and month/day of birth)
- Click on SeeSaw
- Microsoft Teams
- You can also access Microsoft Teams by downloading the app or from web browser. Let’s watch the following video to give us more information
- Door #2, near the large parking lot (East side) – students in grades 3rd and 4th
- Door #1, main entrance on Newell St – students in grades Pre-K, Kindergarten, and 5th
- Door #6 near the small parking lot (West side) – students in grades 1st and 2nd
Afternoon Dismissal: Walkers will be dismissed at 1:50pm
- At this time, parents/guardians are not able to accompany children into the building.
- Parents are encouraged to use the Parent Hug Zones outside the school to give a quick hug prior to your child walking into the building.
Late Arrival and Early Pick -Ups
- Walkers PreK-2 will be escorted outside by their teacher through Door 3; parents please greet your child at this location for pick up.
- Walkers in grades 3-5 will be dismissed in the front of the school.
Please remember that every minute of the school day counts more than ever before. When students are not in regular attendance or regularly leave school early, this affects their academic achievement, and causes underachievement. We understand that emergencies arise however, the habit of late arrival and early pick-ups must end so that our Bobcats have the opportunity to learn, grow, and achieve academic success.
Please be mindful of the traffic pattern on Newell Street during arrival and dismissal to ensure the safety of our children we ask that you please refrain from passing the traffic cones in the street.
Although this school year will be a new journey for all of us, please reach out if you need anything. My number one goal is to keep my Syracuse community healthy, safe, happy, and highly educated while we navigate through these unchartered waters. The best is yet to come!
Please review your child’s virtual schedule that is included with this letter!
Katrina Allen, Principal