The vision of Meachem Elementary is to provide an environment that develops life-long learners who are peaceful, productive, healthy, and happy.
In collaboration with students, families, and the community, Meachem will provide a safe and supportive learning environment that is committed to growing the whole student. With strong relationships at its core, Meachem will provide personalized learning experiences to propel each student to meet their full potential.
Greeting Parents and Families of Meachem Elementary School,
As the school year comes to a close, I would like to thank our wonderful students, staff, families, and community members for helping to make the school year so successful. Summer comes with the opportunity to reflect on what we have achieved these past ten months. Keeping in mind that our school’s vision is to provide a school environment that develops lifelong learners who are peaceful, productive, healthy, and happy, below you will find some of our many achievements!
Highlights from 2016- 2017:
- We have continued to use restorative practices throughout Meachem, resulting in a 300% decrease in referrals.
- Over 70% “Spleem”(disengaged behavior) reduction with use of PAX kernels/cues.
- By the end of the school year the number of students in the intervention reading group has decreased by 12- 20% across grades.
- Well over 50% of students across all grade levels scored levels 3 and 4 in math in this year’s STAR assessments.
- Many of our classrooms have implemented a mindfulness practice throughout the school day to relax, reflect, and prepare to learn.
- We have reached a record high of students that were able to attend the VIP All Star Party at the end of the school year.
- Our evening events were extremely well attended, with a 30% increase from last year’s events.
- Welcome Back Hot Dog Roast is on Thursday, August 31st: Please join us for a light dinner and a chance speak with our Meachem staff as well as other Meachem families.
- First Day of School is on Wednesday, September 6th: Please have students ready for the first day of school with their school supplies, which are listed on the back of this letter.
- Curriculum Night is on Thursday, September 21st: This event is for students to share with their families what they are working on throughout the school year.
- To stay up-to-date with Meachem news and events please check the SCSD Meachem website and by follow us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/meachemelementary.
It has been a great honor to serve as the principal of Meachem Elementary this year, as guiding your children to meet their potential is the most important and rewarding calling there could be. As parents, you should be extremely proud of your child, as they have grown both academically and socially. I hope all the Meachem families have a wonderful and relaxing summer! Thank you all for your continuous support this school year and I look forward to an even more successful school year in 2017-2018.
Please Join Us for a Family Discussion!:
You are cordially invited to dinner and a discussion with staff from the Office of Student Support Services, Office of Family Engagement and the Chief Ombuds Officer. The discussions will be guided by a series of questions about student support, discipline, the Code of Conduct, and school climate and culture. All feedback from families and students will be recorded by table facilitators.
All families are invited to attend ANY of the sessions regardless of where your child attends ...
Social Worker Feature: Shannon Geer, Meachem:
“What makes you awesome? I want to know what is awesome about you!”
Meachem Social Worker Shannon Geer asks this question of her students each day, in a genuine effort to help give them a confidence boost.
“Kids have a hard time recognizing that about themselves,” Ms. Geer explained. “My intention is to provide evidence to the children of their strengths and teach them the skills that they need to realize their own incredible greatness so they ...
Meachem Students Explore Use of Glass & Clay in Art:
Meachem students oohed and aahed as they looked over the brightly colored glass pieces separated on a shelf in the back of their art classroom.
As part of a grant funded by the SCSD Educational Foundation , Stacy Griffin’s fourth and fifth graders enjoyed a special art project where they learned how to fuse glass and clay to create their own artistic masterpiece!
Ms. Griffin explained that she had success with glass and clay projects a decade ago at her previous school, ...
SCSD Students Named ‘Youth Unsung Heroes’:
“He refuses to give up, and constantly challenges himself to be better.”
“Her love of learning is magnetic.”
“He has a positive attitude that is infectious.”
“She is an extremely positive role model for her peers.”
“He is a peacemaker who has a big heart.”
“She is genuine and takes pride in herself.”
“He is always willing to jump in and help his classmates.” ...
Opportunity Culture Expands, Bringing More Excellent Teaching to SCSD Schools:
This year, five new SCSD schools have implemented Opportunity Culture, a staffing model designed to provide more students with access to excellent teaching while also providing teachers with added support and room for career advancement.
To make this happen, schools designate Multi-Classroom Leaders (MCLs) to collaborate with content area teachers on strategies and best practices. MCLs serve as mentors and team leaders, allowing them to assist other teachers and gain leadership experience ...
| View more stories >>|
May 8th – May 12th
Teacher Appreciation Week
Muffins for Moms
Rise Up Assembly
12:35: K- 2
1:45: 3 – 5
Science Performance Test
PreK- 2 PBIS Assembly
3-5 PBIS Assembly
Meachem Support Staff
District Led- School Review Report