Opening Letter 2021-2022
Dear Parents and Guardians,
On behalf of the staff at HW Smith PreK-8 School, I am excited to welcome you to the 2021-2022 school year! We are ready and waiting for all of our students to join us five days a week this year.
Your child’s homeroom number is listed on the address label for THIS letter. It is very helpful if they know their homeroom on the first day of school. A list of teachers assigned to each homeroom is below. Please keep in mind that in grades 3-8, students change classes throughout the day and will have a class with all of the teachers assigned to that grade.
Our theme this year will be “Rainbows” because after every storm comes a rainbow. With your help, we will make sure that every student builds upon the skills they need to let their colors shine. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Attends school every day, arrives on time, and is ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Completes all HOMEWORK and CLASSWORK assignments given by teachers
3) READS daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
5) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school
Here is some important information for you!
- Curriculum Night: October 21st,5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. HW Smith students and their parents are invited to join us to hear about their child’s classroom, the curriculum, and classroom expectations. At this time, we are planning an in-person Curriculum Night. If this changes, we will let you know.
- First Day of School: The first day of school is Wednesday, September 8th. This is a full day of school. Lunches and breakfast will be served every day your child is in school.
- School Supply List: Please see our school webpage on scsd.us or our Facebook page (H.W. Smith PreK-8 School) for the updated list
- School Picture Day: Friday, October 22nd. Picture retakes will be Tuesday, November 30th.
- School Hours: Grades K-8 student hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students should not arrive before 7:45 a.m. Breakfast is served in the classroom from 7:45 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Students are considered late to school after 8:00 a.m. Dismissal begins at 3:20 p.m. Any child needing to be picked up prior to 3:20 must have a note sent to the main office that morning. Early pickups should be for emergency purposes only. PreK hours are slightly different and will be communicated with parents by the PreK office.
- Visitor Information: For your child’s safety, no visitors are allowed in the building without an appointment. If you arrive at school, we will determine your needs at the door and only allow those with appointments to enter. Parents/visitors are not allowed to walk students to classrooms. In order to keep your child safe, all parents and visitors must remain outside.
- Dropping off or Picking up children: In order to ensure that students arrive on time and stay in class as long as possible, we have a specific procedure for dropping off and picking up your students from school. Our system helps parents avoid the congestion of the bus lane and ensure that ALL students are in homeroom on time. Please see the attached map. We appreciate your help by following these procedures daily. Because our procedure requires cars to be continuously moving as students load/unload, PLEASE DO NOT PARK YOUR CAR ANYWHERE IN THE SIDE PARKING LOT DURING ARRIVAL OR DISMISSAL. If you have an appointment to enter the building, you must park across the street on Melbourne Ave or Audubon Pkwy. CARS MAY NOT PARK OR STAND ANYWHERE ON SALT SPRINGS ROAD. THIS WILL BE ENFORCED BY THE SYRACUSE PD BECAUSE ANY CAR STOPPED ON SALT SPRINGS ROADBLOCKS TRAFFIC.
- Lunch Information: All students will receive breakfast and lunch at no charge for the entire school year. All families will need to complete a household income eligibility form that will be mailed to you. Some of you will receive an Eligibility Letter from New York State Education Department. Please send a copy of this letter to school.
- Bus Information: Information about bussing has been sent by mail from the Transportation Department. If you have an address change, you must bring proof of address to the school. If address changes are received between today and September 3rd, your child’s bus will start on Monday, September 13th. This means that at this point if your address has changed, your child will not have a bus for the first week of school. Address changes received after September 3rd will take effect approximately ten days from the date it was received. If you have questions regarding busing, you can reach Transportation at 435-4260. Please keep in mind that during the school year, all busing changes must be requested in writing with proof of address and a valid phone number to verify the request. Due to COVID, NO bus passes can be issued. Seats on the busses are limited and no student can be added to the bus if they are NOT on the roster. It is very helpful if you tag your children in grades K-3 with their name, address, bus stop and your phone number. This helps us assist the drivers and the adults until we get to know your child personally. Masks MUST be worn by all students riding the bus.
- Communication: It is very important that we can communicate. Please be sure to complete the emergency card that your child brings home the first week of school. Instead of sending paper flyers and information home with your child, we will be using email and text messages. Please be sure that we always have your current email and cell phone number on file. A secretary can update this information quickly if you call us.
- PTO (Parent Teacher Organization): We would love to have you involved with our PTO. The PTO gives us feedback on school initiatives, plans fun activities, and fundraisers to support student needs. This parent group meets virtually once a month. We will send out links to the meeting to your cell phone using Talking Points. PTO will meet on the first Thursday of every month at 5:30 p.m.
- COVID Procedures: We have put many procedures and routines in place due to COVID. All students and staff will wear a mask at all times. Classrooms have been set up with students seated three feet apart. Students will be seated three feet apart with a barrier for lunches. Grade levels will organize regular hand washing and mask breaks.
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 435-4490. We are looking forward to an amazing school year!
21-22 SCHOOL SUPPLY LIST
To cultivate all students’ academic, social and emotional skills in preparation for success in high school and beyond.
To be highly regarded for academic excellence where every student is achieving at his or her maximum potential in an engaging, inspiring and challenging learning environment.
Highly Regarded: A school where the district and state recognize the progress towards the highest attendance rate, the lowest incidents in discipline, and the highest scores on NYS assessments.
Student Friendly Vision
To become the best K-8 school in Syracuse.
HW Smith Vice Principal Nick Scholz Honored as Leader in Digital Education:
HW Smith Vice Principal Nick Scholz has been named recipient of the 2021 Leader in Digital Education Award by the School Administrators Association of New York State (SAANYS).
This award recognizes a SAANYS member who has demonstrated exceptional, creative leadership in harnessing the potential of technology to further teaching and student achievement. Mr. Scholz was selected for his excellent organizational and communication skills in supporting and promoting innovative digital practices ...
Building Men Program Overview & Sign Up Information:
We hope this letter comes to you in good health and spirits. This current pandemic has taught us all the power of flexibility and patience. With that in mind, we are excited to offer our Fall 2020 Virtual Building Men Mentoring Program (BM Mentoring 2020).
Our Fall 2020 Virtual Building ...
HW Smith Building Women Group Teaches Teamwork, Empowerment:
Young ladies at HW Smith have been building their self-worth, teamwork and leadership skills – and improving the school – thanks to a Building Women group. Offered through Peaceful Schools, the group provides regular enrichment to girls in grades four through eight.
Currently in its second year at HW Smith, Building Women meets every other day. Over the course of the school year, the girls focus on seven areas of wellness: intellectual, financial, physical, emotional, social, ...
| View more stories >>|
The SCSD has many academic, social, emotional and mental health supports available to students. School social workers can help connect you and your child to in school and/or out of school supports that meet your needs. Please call us at (315) 435-4490 and ask to speak with a Social Worker for more information and assistance.
Arrival / Dismissal Plan 21-22
21-22 School Supply List