SCSD Teaching & Learning Newsletter - November / December 2017
SCSD Teaching & Learning Newsletter - September / October 2017
The Office of Teaching and Learning is responsible for the supervision of all of the District schools and instructional programs. Our goal is to raise expectations for student learning and focus the work of teaching and learning on academically rigorous “college-and-career ready” Pre K-12 programs which are aligned to the Common Core standards.
The Division examines and improves the coherence, rigor, alignment, content and pacing of the district’s curriculum guides and other instructional tools, including instructional materials, professional development, and academic programming. We ensure that these tools, materials, and programs are aligned to the district’s theory of action for teaching and learning and are based upon “college and career ready” academic rigor and mastery of the Common Core standards. These tools and strategies must also provide sufficient instructional supports to meet the needs of all students.
Among our key responsibilities:
- Develop, revise, and implement the Pre-K-12 Curriculum and corresponding assessments to ensure alignment with the New York State Common Core Standards and outcomes.
- Create formative and interim assessment tools to monitor student progress.
- Provide direct support to staff to facilitate effective implementation of curriculum, instruction and assessments.
- Support the design and delivery of professional development to ensure effective curriculum implementation, high-quality teaching across content areas, and instructional leadership across all schools.
- Refine and design instructional programs to meet the needs of all learners, including students with disabilities, those who are highly able, English Language Learners and students at risk because of poverty or other factors.
The Division also supervises the following Departments:
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Secondary and Career and Technical Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- English Language Arts (ELA)
- Science and Technology
- Social Studies
- Fine Arts
- Library Media Services
- English as a New Language (ENL), World Languages and Bilingual Education
- Health, Physical Education and Athletics
- Adult Education
- Professional Development
- Special Programs