As we prepare for another excellent school year, I would like to provide you with an update on the renovation status. As you know, Ed Smith is currently being renovated and the construction has been underway for two years. However, at this time, the building will not be ready for the opening of the 2019-20 school year as stated in the Superintendent’s letter. This means we will open the school year at Levy School in the fall. Our projected return date to Ed Smith will be in October. This will coincide with our 100 year Centennial Celebration over the Columbus Day Weekend. Stay tuned for more details! The staff and planning committee at Ed Smith are looking forward to celebrating this tremendous occasion with all of you.
I have also been working with the Superintendent on a transition plan for our return to Ed Smith.
Our preliminary timeline is:
- Regular Instruction at Levy School in September.
- September 28 & 29th
the district will move the teachers boxes to Ed Smith over the weekend.
- September 30 – October 4 there will be Field trips to Ed Smith School for all grade levels. This will include visiting the classroom, building tours, arrival & dismissal doors, Nurse’s location, and fire drill exits. We want our students to feel excited and less anxious about the move and feel this will meet their needs. Teachers will set up their classrooms after school during the week.
- October 7th
will be the first day of school in our renovated building. Updated bus information will be sent prior to our first day back to Ed Smith School.
- October 11-13 will be our Centennial Celebration, which includes a Family Fun Night on Friday with tours of the building for parents and families. A big Gala Celebration on Saturday and a Fashion Show on Sunday. Details will be sent soon. We look forward to seeing you at these events.
There will also be volunteer opportunities for parents that are interested in helping teachers unpack during the week of September 30 – October 4th
. Our Librarian will also need some assistance and I thank you for those of you who have offered to volunteer already. Stay tuned for details.
Our first PTO meeting will be September 19th
and I will share the transition timeline and ask for volunteers. We will have Curriculum Night on September 24 from 5-7 p.m. I will review our school test data and present the transition timeline again for families.
As a reminder, the 6th
grade students will have an Orientation on August 27th
from 8 am – 12 noon.
To help ease the transition on the first day at Levy, I would like to share some information that you will find helpful.
- First Day of School: September 5th: Middle School (Gr. 6-8) 8:00 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.
Elementary School (K-5) 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Middle School Students will receive their schedules on the first day of school in the Café
during a Welcome Back assembly for Middle School students.
- Arrival Doors: Kindergarten: Corner Door – Fellows Ave/Harvard Place
Grade: Westmoreland Ave/Harvard Place
Grade: Main Entrance – Fellows Ave
Grade: Main Entrance – Fellows Ave
Any changes in a student’s dismissal plan must be communicated to the main office by 1pm please.
- All doors are labeled by grade level. Doors will be locked at 9:10 a.m. Arrivals after 9:10 am must use the main door on Fellows Ave. and sign in at the main office to get a late pass to class and/or visitor’s pass. Please have NYS ID to be scanned for a visitor’s pass.
- Student Drop Off/Pick Up: Cafeteria door located on Westmoreland side of the building near the parking lot. Students should be dropped off at the sidewalk and enter the café door.
- Breakfast: Students in grades K-2 have breakfast delivered to the classroom. Students in grades 3-8 can pick up a “grab & go” breakfast and take to the classroom upon arrival. This includes students arriving by bus.
- Dismissal: Students will use the same doors as arrival. Dismissal is at 3 pm for all K-8.
Please note: I will share all of this information again for our return to Ed Smith School so everyone will know what door to enter and where students will be dismissed for pick up, buses, etc.
Finally, I would like to invite all families to attend our P.T.O.’s Ice Cream Social on September 3rd
4-6 p.m. in the cafeteria. I look forward to seeing each and every one of you this school year. Enjoy the rest of the summer and keep reading!
All the best,
Ed Smith School