SCSD Winter Health RemindersAs winter begins, so does cold and flu season.
This year, our local healthcare system has seen a great rise in the number of respiratory viruses going around. While viruses this time of year are common, some of them can pose serious risks, especially to children.
The New York State Department of Health has reported the number of flu cases has tripled over the past three weeks, and flu hospitalizations have doubled. The spread of RSV has placed a strain on hospitals, limiting the number of available pediatric hospital beds. And COVID-19 continues to pose a threat, especially to those who are unvaccinated or at high risk.
To help keep your child, your family, and our SCSD community safe, the Department of Health recommends the following tips:
- Stay up to date on vaccines, including flu and COVID-19
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and hot water, for at least 20 seconds
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hands
- Stay home when you are sick or symptomatic
- Wear a well-fitting, high-quality mask when in public indoor spaces
Please be reminded that the SCSD, Wegmans and Black Health will host a vaccination clinic for flu and COVID-19 boosters at Franklin Elementary on December 12, 2022 from 3-6pm. Click here to learn more and register.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our community safe!