- What is Parent University?
- What are the objectives?
- Who can attend Parent University?
- Why was Parent University created?
- How can I learn more?
- Where are the courses held?
- How do I register?
- Is transportation offered?
- How much do the courses cost?
- How many classes I can take?
- Are classes offered in multiple languages?
- Could I offer a course?
- Is childcare available?
- Do courses have credits?
Parent University is a collaboration of resources and course offerings to help parents become full partners in their children’s education. It is an initiative designed to inform, involve and empower families of students in the city’s public schools. Parent University offers parents and other family members a variety of meaningful classes and workshops that will add to their existing skills and give them opportunities for continued growth and development.
- Provide parents and families with the necessary resources to support their children’s educational growth and development.
- Provide opportunities and support for families to achieve their own personal academic and non-academic goals.
- Increase access to and understanding of SCSD core values, policies and practices.
- Increase the number of parents who feel positively connected to their child’s school.
- Support and strengthen families by engaging and empowering them through education.
- Foster networking and improve collaboration among families, schools, community and faith-based organizations.
Parent University will offer workshops in one of five areas:
- Social Emotional Learning: These workshops will focus on the social emotional health and development of children and how it can impact a student’s academic and social progress. Information and experiences that empower parents to raise self-confident, disciplined, motivated and educated children from birth through young adulthood will be shared.
- Technology: These workshops will provide families with up to date and current information on technology and how it can be used to increase learning for students and parents.
- Academic Intervention and Support: These workshops will focus on steps and strategies that can be taken to assist a student in their academic progress. Parents will learn what to look for in order to determine whether their child is on track with his/her learning.
- Growth and Personal Development: These workshops will provide opportunities for parents to increase their own personal and professional growth, enabling them to effectively advocate for themselves and their children.
- Education: These workshops will cover information on topics that are beneficial and of use to families for everyday living.
Parent University offerings are for parents and caregivers of students enrolled in any of the Syracuse City Schools and/or one of the following non-public schools: Blessed Sacrament, Cathedral at Pompei, Most Holy Rosary, All Saints Elementary, Eagle Wings Academy, Faith Heritage, Jowonio, Ihsan and Merriday School. Classes are open to grandparents, single parents, aunts, uncles or even an older sibling who is a primary force in the life of an SCSD or identified non-public school student.
Parent University is an initiative introduced by Superintendent Sharon L. Contreras. Studies show that the most successful students are those whose parents are involved. Parent University was created to help families learn what they can do to support their children’s academic success and well-being.
For more information about Parent University, contact Monique Wright-Williams, Executive Director of Parent and Family Engagement at (315) 435-6275.
Courses are held at area schools, libraries, YMCA, houses of worship, business offices and other locations throughout the city that are convenient to parents. In the future, courses will also be available online. If you would like us to bring Parent University offerings to your site, please contact us at (315)-435-6275.
Registration forms are available on the SCSD Web site, the Say Yes to Education website or at www.scsdparentuniversity.com . Give the completed registration from to your child’s school secretary or deliver to the Parent University offices at the Central Registration Center (Formerly Elmwood School) at 1728 South Avenue, Room 113. Registration can also be made via telephone 315-435-6275 and/or by fax 315-435-6276. A limited number of onsite, same day registration may be possible for select classes.
Transportation vouchers are available for parent/caregivers to attend most Parent University classes. Please notify the Parent University office at the time of registration if you will need a voucher. Bus vouchers will be given for round trip travel to and from classes. Two vouchers per registrant, per class will be provided.
All Parent University courses are free.
There is no limit to how many classes one can take.
Several courses are offered in Spanish. However, anyone interested in a course who does not speak English is eligible to receive the course offering through a Parent University interpreter. Advance notification is required.
Yes. Please submit a workshop request form (found online at www.scsdparentuniversity.com if you are interested in offering a course or if you have a course suggestion. All courses are subject to review by the Parent University Parent Action Committee.
Yes, childcare is available in some cases and pre-approved childcare reimbursements will be made to families who have need for childcare. Saturday summits will provide childcare onsite for all participant children ages 3-12 who are toilet trained.
Academic credits are not provided for Parent University courses. However, we will acknowledge participation and achievement.